The San Juan Mountains of Colorado offer a wealth of outdoor activities and natural beauty. No matter what type of outdoor activity you enjoy, you will mostly likely be able to do it here! Not only is there plenty of outdoor activities to enjoy, but you are spoiled with beautiful views as you take part in your activity! There are a lot of reasons yo explore the western slope of Colorado, but the San Juan mountains are one of the best reasons to visit this part of the state. Here are some of the top outdoor activities to do in the area:
1. Hiking: The San Juan Mountains offer some of the best hiking in Colorado, with trails ranging from easy to difficult. Popular hikes include Ice Lakes Basin, Highland Mary Lakes, and Mt. Sneffels. While these are some of the most well know hikes, there are many more to choose from!
2. Camping: There are many campgrounds throughout the San Juan Mountains that offer a variety of camping experiences. You can camp in established campgrounds or in more remote backcountry areas. However you prefer to camp, there is a place for you in the San Juans.
3. Jeep tours: The San Juan Mountains are known for their scenic Jeep trails, and there are many guided tours available that will take you to some of the most beautiful and remote areas of the mountains. Sometimes it can be hard to navigate on trails you have never been on before, so sit back and enjoy the view while you let someone else take the wheel.
4. Mountain biking: There are many mountain biking trails in the San Juan Mountains, ranging from easy to difficult. Some popular trails include the Telluride Mountain Village Bike Park, the Hermosa Creek Trail, and the Colorado Trail. There are even several different new trails currently being built!
5. Fishing: The San Juan Mountains are home to many rivers and streams that offer excellent fishing opportunities for trout, including the Animas River, the San Juan River, and the Dolores River. Whether you enjoy sitting on the edge of the river and taking it easy while fishing, or enjoy something a little more involved such as fly fishing, you can find it here!
6. Skiing and snowboarding: The San Juan Mountains offer some of the best skiing and snowboarding in Colorado, with several world-class ski resorts, including Telluride, Purgatory, and Silverton.
7. Scenic drives: The San Juan Mountains are home to some of the most beautiful scenic drives in Colorado, including the Million Dollar Highway, the San Juan Skyway, and the Alpine Loop. Maybe biking, hiking, or fishing isn’t for you, but you still enjoy to take in the stunning views from the tops of the mountains, if so, then you will not be disappointed by these scenic drives!